Rooks of Burgundy

Rooks of Burgundy
Rooks of Burgundy is historical fiction set 1016/1017 in the Duchy of Burgundy. Raban is a young serf farmer in a small fief. Spring is freshly come and the world beginning again, and so the story opens.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Whiny Rant



I'm desperately trying the think of something clever to write about, pertaining to my book somehow. It really is too early to amp up my book stuff, but it would be fun to do something. Character sketches? Nah. Excerpts? Maybe, but I'm not sure what the purpose would be. I just want something to help people get to know my book without advertising or "teasing". I don't know.

I somewhat object to the idea of blogging about myself, although I've heard that is what authors should do. I read something that said "Your book is not the brand, you are." Meaning I should advertise myself rather than my book. I find that slightly vomit inducing, but such is the way of the market. I know I am the odd one here, but I have almost no author loyalty. I like books that I like. I know that if you like a book by a certain author, say, Corin McKenney, then you will be likely to enjoy his other books as well. But I really don't have authors I feel a particular fondness for. I have little to less then none interest in them as people. I loved The Book Thief, however I have no desire to know anything about Markus Zusak's personal life (Although apparently I'll give him free advertising). If an author places more importance on themselves than their characters something is wrong. Yet that is what the market wants, so authors acquiesce. Some even love it, get carried away, trick themselves into thinking they're famous. Privacy is for sale, the article said. Why do people care about the artist merely because they appreciate the art. It never shocks me when I find out that an author, actor, or sports figure is a scumbag, because it doesn't change anything (Of course, it might be because I assume they're all scumbags anyway, until shown differently.)

I really do know I am an exception when I say these things. I and I daresay I would compromise my stance if it meant getting published. If it really makes a difference to the reader to know that haven't robbed any seven elevens recently and that I like dogs, enjoy snow sports that involve gravity doing the work, my private vice is sweettarts, and that I broke my arm on a four-wheeler once, then they should be allowed to know. I'll put, what, a thousand hours into my book? More? So people can pry and pretend they know me after checking it out from the library. So what do I get out of it? Oh yeah, artists aren't supposed to be concerned with such low matters as that. My satisfaction comes from knowing that my art was appreciate. I thank you, Dear readers, for appreciating my feeble efforts. One smile from you is worth it all. Feel free to intrude in my life. After all, where would I be without you?

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones