Rooks of Burgundy

Rooks of Burgundy
Rooks of Burgundy is historical fiction set 1016/1017 in the Duchy of Burgundy. Raban is a young serf farmer in a small fief. Spring is freshly come and the world beginning again, and so the story opens.

Friday, August 6, 2010

100,000 Words

No lie. One hundred thousand words. And the end is near, in the good sense. I can't believe it. Rooks of Burgundy is truly long enough to be a legitimate book, it just hasn't ended yet. This is considered a general goal by many authors. 100,000 is kind of a general mark to aim for, though it obviously various from genre to genre and book to book. Many historical fiction books are longer while romance and YA tends to be shorter. To give you a general idea of how long a hundred thousand words is, here are a few examples of books you might have read.

The count of Monte Cristo: 464,218 (I'd figure I'd start some ridiculous beast of a book.)

The Hunger Games: 99,750 (I'm already longer than that. I can't believe it.)

The Lord of the Rings : 320,000-454,000 (I couldn't find an exact number, which is pathetic. The only stuff I found was people guessing. This is word count people. It's way more accurate than page count, but I could find that for every book ever published. Geez)

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: 37,492


I was planning on doing some more, but it is way harder than it should be to find out word count. This is one of my personal hatreds; that everyone goes by page count. Rooks of Burgundy is now over 100,000. And no, I will not tell you how many pages that is.

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones